Debian Installer Jessie Beta 1 release
Cyril Brulebois
2014-08-13 16:20:02 UTC
The Debian Installer team[1] is pleased to announce the first beta
release of the installer for Debian 8 "Jessie".

Important changes in this release of the installer

* Gnome installation images have been fixed (#756774): they will now
really install Gnome (instead of Xfce). They should offer the best
experience as far as accessibility is concerned.
* A major parted release was merged lately, and many related components
needed an update accordingly. If you experience any troubles during
the partitioning step, please make sure to include /var/log/syslog
(as usual) but also /var/log/partman in your installation report.
* A major release of syslinux also appeared, with incompatible changes.
It has consequences on various aspects, including PXE setups (see
Ron's analysis in #757920), and theming. The artwork part will be
dealt with in a later installer release.
* The default init system on Linux is now systemd.

Other changes in this release of the installer

* cdebconf: Resize banner when window width and banner width don't
match (#745359).
* debian-installer:
- Deal with incompatible changes in syslinux.
- Drop some parted_server functions (due to parted changes).
* kfreebsd-9: replaced with kfreebsd-10.
* linux: updated to 3.14.15.
* preseed: Re-enable keyboard question on file preseed (#696857).

Hardware support changes
========================

* debian-installer:
- Add support for mipsel/loongson-3.
- Add support for QNAP HS-210.
- Add support for D-Link DNS-320.
- Add some dtb files for armhf and armel/kirkwood.
- Drop support for armhf/efikamx (no longer supported upstream).
* linux:
- [armhf] Add MMC and NIC modules for BeagleBone Black to udebs
(#754491).
- [armhf] Add virtio-modules udeb.
- [armhf] Enable BRCMFMAC, BRCMFMAC_SDIO as modules (#734430).
- [armhf] Backport sunxi AHCI and GMAC drivers from v3.15-rc1.
- [armhf] Enable more Allwinner/sunxi drivers (#745972).
- [mips*] Add few new udebs and use standard udebs configuration
when possible.
- [mips,mipsel] Remove the sb1a-bcm91480b flavour.
- [mipsel/loongson3] Add support for Loongson 3 LS3A RS780E 1-way
boards.
- [mips,mipsel] Enable initramfs for all flavours, but keep the disk
related drivers built-in for now.
- [mips/octeon] Backport from upstream PCIe2 support and interface
mode detection for Octeon.
- [mips,mipsel/4kc-malta] Fix bug which can cause incorrect system
call restarts (fix hang on boot).
- [x86] udeb: Add hyperv-keyboard to hyperv-modules.
- udeb: Add sdhci-acpi to mmc-modules (#747284).
- udeb: Add mtip32xx, nvme to sata-modules.
- udeb: Update sound-modules (#743319).
- Include virtio_mmio in virtio-modules udeb when available.
* u-boot:
- Add support for some CuBox and Cubieboard targets.
- Drop support for powerpc.

Known bugs in this release
==========================

* Firmware handling: udev no longer reports missing firmware
(#725714), and patches for the kernel need polishing before we are
able to restore support for loading missing firmware.
* GNU/kFreeBSD installation images suffer from various important bugs
(#757985, #757986, #757987, #757988). Porters could surely use some
helping hands to bring the installer back into shape!

See the errata[2] for details and a full list of known issues.

Feedback for this release
=========================

We need your help to find bugs and further improve the installer,
so please try it. Installer CDs, other media and everything else you
will need are available at our web site[3].

Thanks
======

The Debian Installer team thanks everybody who has contributed to this
release.

1. http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Team
2. http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata
3. http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer
--
Cyril Brulebois
on behalf of the Debian Installer Team
Philip Charles
2014-08-18 02:10:01 UTC
Hi folks,

This is a request that installation usb flash drives be treated in the
same way as installation discs.

Test installations with first two 32 bit DVDs and corresponding usb
sticks.

During the DVD installation. At "Configure Packet Manager" the option
"Scan extra discs" was offered. This option was skipped during the
flash drive installation.

After the initial reboot the DVD was recognised when extra software was
installed. The flash drive was not.

However, if /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/OOCDMountPoint was modified

from

Acquire::cdrom {
mount "/media/cdrom";
};
Dir::Media::MountPath "/media/cdrom";

Acquire::cdrom {
mount "/media/usb";
};
Dir::Media::MountPath "/media/usb";
Then the first flash drive was recognised for the installation of new
software.
This also works with wheezy.

As expected, apt-cdrom add did not recognise the second flash drive.
+64 3 488 2818 Fax +64 3 488 2875 Mobile 027 663 4453
***@copyleft.co.nz - personal. ***@copyleft.co.nz - business
cstrobel
2014-08-19 03:20:01 UTC
I installed Jessie using a Braille display.
Debian-Jessie-DI-b1-amd64-net inst.iso
I tried to get Orca going like this.
Open a text console and login as root:
aptitude instal gnome-orca
orca -t
Now it tells me no speech is available, so I do
aptitude install espeak
orca -t
Still no speech available, so I reboot.
Now open up a text console again as root and type
orca -t
It talks this time and I go through the prompts, It tells
me that it can't start
the screen reader, because it can't connect to the Desktop.
How should a novice ORCA user start up orca so that it will
read the graphical login?
By the way, the Braille doesn't read the graphical login
either, we siply get "screen
not in text mode"?
Thanks!

On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 18:19:46 +0200
Hello,
Please help by testing this release, so we can have time
to iron out
bugs before the Jessie release!
----- Forwarded message from Cyril Brulebois
Subject: Debian Installer Jessie Beta 1 release
----- End forwarded message -----
Samuel Thibault
2014-08-21 23:40:02 UTC
Hello,
Post by cstrobel
I installed Jessie using a Braille display.
Debian-Jessie-DI-b1-amd64-net inst.iso
I tried to get Orca going like this.
Ah. Normally Orca should automatically start at gdm and in the user
session if installation was done with a braille device or speech
synthesis.

Does anybody in d-accessibility how one is supposed to enable
accessibility in gdm with some shell script (probably calling some
gconftool-2 or using some schema)?

Samuel
Cyril Brulebois
2014-08-21 23:50:01 UTC
Hello,
Post by cstrobel
I installed Jessie using a Braille display.
Debian-Jessie-DI-b1-amd64-net inst.iso
I tried to get Orca going like this.
Ah. Normally Orca should automatically start at gdm and in the user
session if installation was done with a braille device or speech
synthesis.
FWIW installing gnome with speech synthesis led me to have orca both at
the gdm prompt and in the user session, that's why I recommended using
the gnome image in my release announcement.
Does anybody in d-accessibility how one is supposed to enable
accessibility in gdm with some shell script (probably calling some
gconftool-2 or using some schema)?
Given what I mentioned above, I think what's in debian-installer should
just work as it previously did?

Sorry if I'm missing something.

Mraw,
KiBi.
Samuel Thibault
2014-08-21 23:50:01 UTC
Post by Cyril Brulebois
Hello,
Post by cstrobel
I installed Jessie using a Braille display.
Debian-Jessie-DI-b1-amd64-net inst.iso
I tried to get Orca going like this.
Ah. Normally Orca should automatically start at gdm and in the user
session if installation was done with a braille device or speech
synthesis.
FWIW installing gnome with speech synthesis led me to have orca both at
the gdm prompt and in the user session,
Ah, then perhaps it's just the braille case which is broken.

Samuel
Cyril Brulebois
2014-08-22 00:00:01 UTC
Post by Samuel Thibault
Ah, then perhaps it's just the braille case which is broken.
(You lost the submitter in your reply.)

The submitter said the netinst image was used. So xfce/lightdm were
presumably installed. I'm not sure installing gnome-orca is sufficient
since finish-install.d/07speakup only sets gnome schema things?

We really need to end this xfce craziness.

Mraw,
KiBi.
Samuel Thibault
2014-08-22 00:10:02 UTC
Post by Cyril Brulebois
Post by Samuel Thibault
Ah, then perhaps it's just the braille case which is broken.
(You lost the submitter in your reply.)
The submitter said the netinst image was used. So xfce/lightdm were
presumably installed.
Ah, right. We could make braille & speech preseed installing gnome if
not preseeded already (from explicit boot menu choice ending up on the
kernel command line or other preseeding methods).
Post by Cyril Brulebois
I'm not sure installing gnome-orca is sufficient
since finish-install.d/07speakup only sets gnome schema things?
It's not sufficient indeed. The braille case does the same schema
things.

Samuel
Samuel Thibault
2014-08-24 13:00:01 UTC
Post by Cyril Brulebois
Given what I mentioned above, I think what's in debian-installer should
just work as it previously did?
I have tested it again with the gnome desktop and it works fine indeed.

Samuel
Samuel Thibault
2014-08-27 00:40:01 UTC
Are you saying XFCE is the problem?
Yes.
Is there going to be an updated installer you want me to test again,
or what do you suggest to get ORCA working??
You can use a gnome image, such as
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/jessie_di_beta_1/amd64/iso-cd/debian-jessie-DI-b1-amd64-gnome-CD-1.iso

Samuel
cstrobel
2014-08-27 00:40:01 UTC
Are you saying XFCE is the problem? Is there going to be
an updated installer you want me to test again, or what do
you suggest to get ORCA working??
Thanks for looking into this.
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 14:52:38 +0200
Cyril Brulebois, le Fri 22 Aug 2014 01:43:07 +0200, a
Luke Yelavich
2014-08-22 01:30:01 UTC
Hello,
Post by cstrobel
I installed Jessie using a Braille display.
Debian-Jessie-DI-b1-amd64-net inst.iso
I tried to get Orca going like this.
Ah. Normally Orca should automatically start at gdm and in the user
session if installation was done with a braille device or speech
synthesis.
Does anybody in d-accessibility how one is supposed to enable
accessibility in gdm with some shell script (probably calling some
gconftool-2 or using some schema)?
You would probably have to set the correct gsettings keys for the login user. In Ubuntu I have things set up to set appropriate settings up for lightdm and the unity greeter. The gsettings command-line tool can be used to do this. Note you do need dbus and dconf installed and working for this to work.

Luke